We were invited to exhibit our Lace Sensor Dresses at the StAnza Poetry Festival in St Andrews, Scotland. The festival ran from 6-10 March 2013 and Anja went to represent our project.
The Lace Sensor Dresses are finally finished! We only just got the chance to photograph them before they were whisked away to Vienna for their big debut at the TechnoSensual Exhibition.
More photos after the jump!
Speaking of speakers, a few months ago David Littler recorded the three poems for our three dresses. Among other things, David is part of a collective called sampler-cultureclash, which uses as a starting point the commonalities between sampled audio and embroidery samplers. From there, they organise collaborations between a diverse range of musicians, designers, artisans, craftspeople and artists.
David seemed like the perfect person to contact about sourcing audio for our spoken poems. He knows his way around audio, works closely with embroiderers (who naturally have a special connection to the poems we’ve chosen) and he lives in the UK, which is where we wanted the accents to come from! Although he’s a busy guy (he just started a residency in Berlin), he managed to find time to help us and has provided three lovely audio files for us to load onto our WaveShields!
Oh, and we’ve decided to name our dresses after the women reading the poems (much nicer than Pressure Sensor Dress One, Pressure Sensor Dress Two, etc). So our dresses will be named Sian, Emma and Pat!
Here’s how we’re attaching the speakers to the dresses:
The speakers will be covered with crochet, but we wanted to make them detachable in case something breaks or needs to be resoldered, etc. First we embroidered our circuit with conductive thread, stitching pads on the dress where the speakers will be connected. We’ve soldered crimp beads to the speakers so that we can sew them (with conductive thread) to the embroidered pads on the dress.
Things are moving along slowly but surely with the pressure sensor dresses. Here’s a quick update on how we integrated the arduinos and waveshields.
The conductive threads from the speakers and sensors on the body of the dress all terminate at the back of the waste between the top-skirt and the under-skirt. Here, we made a flap that the arduino attaches to with metal press-studs.
As mentioned in an earlier post, the resistance on the conductive thread is interfering with the sound. We fixed this by replacing the conductive thread with flexible wires up the sides of the zip, but we really wanted to try another solution.
So we built an amplifier circuit with an LM386N chip: