pressure sensor dresses: speaker tests

We have some lovely little speakers that we want to integrate into the dresses by covering them with crochet.  Of course this has an effect on the sound quality, so we’re testing, testing and more testing…

pressure sensor dresses: waveshield

Lots of progress withe the Wave Shield!  Thanks to the tip posted in the adafruit forums, we managed to reduce our Wave Shield/Arduino Pro sandwich to 1.5cm in total, including all the sticky-out components.  Behold:

Continue reading

pressure sensor dresses: the toile

After making the pressure sensors A and B, we decided that we’d like to integrate the sensors into a garment.  Originally we were going to stick to experimenting with sensors only, but after continued research of the history of lace making and textile handwork we felt inspired to broaden the project.  We also like the idea of giving the sensors a context.

We plan to make three dresses with three different themes.  The themes are taken from poems we’ve found on antique embroidery samplers and each poem says something about the person who made the embroidery and communicates a certain feeling, e.g., weariness, melancholy, resolve.  We’ve translated each theme into a gesture which, when made by the wearer, will trigger audio of the poem being read.  We’ll write more about the poems later, but meanwhile, here are some photos of the toile we’ve made for the dresses.

Continue reading

pressure sensor B: demo

pressure sensor A: demo

pressure sensor B: round 08

The final round!

Continue reading

pressure sensor A: round 08

I ended up using this very thick spongy felt material in a loop like the lace on it. The height is nearly the same as the pressure sensor itself.

Continue reading

pressure sensor B: round 07

To make the layer thick I made in itself  two layer of embroidered feld together.

Continue reading

pressure sensor A: round 07

In order to get this layer really thick I made a kind of loopy carpet.  It also follows the curved wave shape that we see coming back in almost every layer.

pressure sensor B: round 06

The layers are getting thicker now, so I used a padded piece of cotton with top-stitching following the original lace pattern.

Continue reading